- Choose a safe and stable location: Find a heat-resistant surface to place your candle on. Make sure the candle is not near anything flammable, and keep it away from drafts, pets, and children.
- Trim the wick: Before lighting the candle, trim the wick to a length of about ¼ inch. This will help the candle burn evenly and prevent the flame from getting too big.
- Light the candle: Make sure the wick is straight and use a long match or a lighter to light the wick at the top of the candle.
Monitor the candle:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. Keep an eye on the candle while it is burning to make sure the flame is not getting too big and that it is not causing any safety concerns.
- Allow the wax to melt: As the candle burns, the wax will begin to melt and pool around the wick. To prevent tunneling, make sure that the wax pool reaches the edge of the candle before extinguishing it. This may take several hours, depending on the size of the candle.
- Burn your pillar candle one hour for every inch of its diameter the first time you light it.
- Extinguish the candle: To extinguish the candle, use a snuffer or gently blow out the flame. Do not use water to extinguish a beeswax candle as it can cause the wax to splatter.
- Trim the wick: After the wax has cooled and hardened, trim the wick again to about ¼ inch before lighting it again.
Image of a burning candle and than image of one the has been hugged (edges rolled in).
The candle wick in a candle is constantly feeding the beeswax to the flame, a pool of beeswax is created around it due to the heat. While a taper rarely leaks on the sides, pillar candles need more attention. Pillars need to be "hugged" (folding some of the wax along the edge closer to the wick). Some decorative candles should only be burned briefly since they are designed more for artistic reasons than to produce light for an extended time.
Disclaimer: By purchasing any product from our website or retail storefront you agree to always make safety first, and NEVER leave a burning candle unattended make sure all packaging is removed from the candle and the candle is safely placed in the proper candle holder before lighting. We are not responsible for any damage caused by the misuse of the products you purchase from us.